Changing your car oil at home is a simple thing that saves you part of the cost.
1. Preparation steps
- Step 1: Preparing the jack for the forklift, some car racks, specialized screwdriver sets, old oil drip tray, funnel, new engine oil, protective tools …
Step 2: Start the car and let the engine run for about 10 minutes to help heat up the oil so that the oil withdrawal process can be faster and cleaner.
Step 3: Find a cool, level parking space away from fire areas, lift the vehicle with a lift, then secure it with a support.
- Step 4: Turn on the bonnet, pay attention to keep the lid firmly on if the car does not have a self-supporting system.
2. Drain the oil and replace the oil filter
- Step 1: Get under the car, find the oil drain button. By design, the car’s oil drain button is usually located below the engine and located in the front center of the car. You can look through the design of the car for more information or you will see this exhaust button with your eyes.
- Step 2: Find the oil drain plug, place the oil reducer underneath and turn the drain on with a pocket wrench that best suits your vehicle’s design. How to turn counterclockwise.
- Step 3: Remove the screw by hand, let the oil drain out of the container. Pay attention to hot oil.
- Step 4: After the oil has drained, replace the gasket on the screw that was removed from the drain hole.
- Step 5: Tighten the screw to the exhaust hole, pay attention to screw the thread properly and wipe around the drain plug then use a wrench, however, it is advised not to screw too tightly.
- Step 6: Then find out where the oil filter is located underneath the car. Usually the side of the car engine. Continue to keep the oil reducer underneath to catch the old oil.
- Step 7: Remove the old oil filter with a dedicated wrench.
- Step 8: Each type of vehicle will have a different size filter and you need to choose the right filter for your model. Clean the contact section between the filter and the motor with a cloth to avoid the rubber cushion sticking to the engine. Before installing a new oil filter, you need to apply a layer of oil around the rubber gaskets on the filter to increase the sealing ability and easier to grasp.
- Step 9: Attach the filter to the correct position. Note, you need to keep the filter upright when installed to prevent oil spillage. Turn by hand until hard and then use a special wrench until you feel enough force, do not tighten too tight.
3. Replace the car with new oil
- Step 1: Find the position of the oil filler cap on the engine, then turn it counter-clockwise.
- Step 2: Put in the funnel and then slowly pour the new oil. To know exactly how much oil you need in a car, you need to check the instructions, but usually 4 to 5 liters of oil is sufficient.
- Step 3: After pouring enough oil as required, cover the oil tank, cover the bonnet.
- Step 4: Restart the car and let the engine run for about 2 minutes. Then check if the amount of oil is enough with the oil gauge, if lacking, add more.
Source link < Instructions on how to change car oil at home > Automotivesta.com